A network of strength, support, and success.
AmericanHort truly represents the entire horticulture industry, including breeders, greenhouse and nursery growers, retailers, distributors, interior and exterior landscapers, florists, students, educators, researchers, manufacturers, and all of those who are part of the industry market chain. We are the leading national association for the green industry, and AmericanHort works tirelessly to connect the industry across states and segments, giving you opportunities that expand your network and resources.
Answers to your biggest challenges can be found within the AmericanHort network of businesses, who -- like you -- are passionate about growth, performance, and a future bright with potential.
| Our Mission
|Unite, promote, and advance our industry through advocacy, collaboration, connectivity, education, market development, and research.
||Lead and unify the horticulture industry to cultivate successful businesses and help enhance lives through the benefits of plants.
||Grow a strong and vibrant industry with positive economic, cultural, and social impact. Collaborate to achieve greatness, push potential, and engage others in the power of plants.
Growing the Industry -- Together
AmericanHort members are outstanding.
|They believe in pushing their business to achieve peak performance.
Through team-building, lean processes, savvy margin management, and more. We have the events and resources to help.
|They believe that growth is continuous.
A growing business is a successful business. We connect you with ways to grow personally, professionally, and profitably.
|They believe that future prosperity begins now.
Get ready with the right tools, right people, right knowledge, and the confidence to use them all wisely. We help you see what’s coming no so you can prepare for late
Our Guiding Principles
- Be influential advocates. The association will maintain the connections and clout needed to impact legislative and regulatory decisions for the benefit of the horticulture industry and our consumers.
- Be authoritative educators. The association will leverage our industry’s collective knowledge and experience, supported by ongoing research, to be the leading authorities in the business of growing and selling plants, and related products and services.
- Be collaborative across the industry. The members of the association will work together as a professional community to share knowledge, resources, and connectivity for the mutual success of all horticulture industry sectors.
- Be fervent supporters of plant businesses. The association will help our members grow the business of growing and selling plants, and related products and services, by promoting the expertise of fellow professionals, supporting the development of quality products, and inspiring better design, which will lead to increased sales across the industry.
- Be passionate promoters of healthy communities. The association will support activities that, thanks to our industry’s products and services, lead to healthier and more beautiful communities, and a more inspired way of life.
AmericanHort was founded January 1, 2014, through the consolidation of the American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA) and OFA - The Association of Horticultural Professionals. But that is far from the beginning.
The American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA) was founded in 1876 as the American Association of Nurserymen, Florists and Seedsmen. With the departure of the florists and seedsmen companies in the early 1880s, the association’s name was changed to the American Association of Nurserymen and has ever since represented the interests of nursery and greenhouse growers, landscape firms, distributors, retailers, and allied suppliers.
ANLA was organized as the industry struggled to respond to difficult economic conditions and increasingly invasive government relations. The first bylaws, adopted in 1876, stated that the association’s objective was to promote the interests of it members in cultivating “personal acquaintance with others engaged in the trade,” the exhibition of plants and equipment “used in the business,” and the exchange and sale of stock. For well over a century ANLA ensured a viable future for the horticulture industry advocating the industry’s interests on issues including the availability of an economic workforce, efficient interstate shipping of plant material, and key tax protections for measuring inventory and the generational transfer of land and businesses.
OFA - The Association of Horticulture Professionals (OFA) was founded in 1929 as the Ohio State Florist Association by graduates of The Ohio State University. They came together to collaborate on research, extension, and knowledge-sharing to improve the floriculture industry in Ohio. Later, the group merged with the Ohio Flower Growers and became the Ohio Flower Growers’ and Retailers Association, chartered in 1931. In October 1937, the name was changed to the Ohio Flower Growers’ Association. By February 1938, the name was changed to the Ohio Florists’ Association. Reflective of the several name changes, from its earliest days OFA was always evolving and expanding to serve its members and the industry.
Over the years, the association outgrew the Ohio state boundaries as it served professionals from around the world. Through the well-known OFA Short Course international convention and trade show (first held in 1929 and now known as Cultivate), the association expanded its reach. This led to the group changing its name again in 2003 to simply “OFA,” identifying itself as a national association for all horticulture professionals, including greenhouse and nursery growers. However, with a quarter of its member companies engaged in retail and horticulture services, the organization was certainly not just for growers. OFA also served landscape and interiorscape firms, retail florists, students, educators, and allied suppliers and other businesses.
From their beginnings, ANLA and OFA were about connecting the entire industry market chain. AmericanHort continues that legacy by uniting the industry and all its professionals under one name with one mission -- to ensure the continued growth and success of our members.