AmericanHort Board of Directors Election
Thank you for your interest in serving on the AmericanHort Board of Directors. In July 2017, there will be vacancies for three Directors and for the Vice Chairman. Owners and employees of Class A Member Companies may submit an application.
Click here to complete the online application before November 22, 2016.
Process and Timeline
Any owner or employee of a “Class A” Member Company is eligible to run for election. As specified in the Bylaws, Class A Members are businesses with a Basic, Plus, or Premium Company Membership, that are of good reputation and engaged in the production and/or sale of flowers, plants, seeds, accessories, and/or products and services directly related to the horticulture industry and have paid the annual dues specified by the Board of Directors to AmericanHort.
Following the application process, the Leadership Committee will review all applications and will prepare a slate of candidates for the Class A Members to consider. Only Class A Members will receive ballots to vote on candidates. All ballots will be distributed by email, and voting will take place on the AmericanHort website.
- Board of Directors elections announced.
- Applications must be received by November 18.
- The Leadership Committee will meet to review applications and prepare a slate. At least three candidates for three Director seats, and at least one candidate for the Vice Chairman will be considered. If the current Chairman is not able to serve as the Immediate Past Chairman, one candidate for the Immediate Past Chairman will be identified.
- Following that, the Board of Directors will review and approve the slate.
- On December 12, AmericanHort will announce online voting for all AmericanHort Class A members to select their choice for each of the open positions.
- Voting remains open until January 6, 2017
- New elected board members announced.
- The winning candidates will attend the July Board of Directors meeting for orientation.
- Directors and Officers assume office at the conclusion of the Board of Directors meeting.
*Timeline subject to change without notice.
AmericanHort seeks to have a diverse board based on personal characteristics (gender, ethnicity, race, and other factors.), geography, business type and size, as well as skills, and experience. The most important qualification is the ability and willingness to govern the affairs of a $5+ million trade association and its affiliates.
Candidates should consider the following:
- Can you fulfill our board’s fiduciary and legal oversight responsibilities? This includes things like:
- Understanding financial basics
- Monitoring key financial indicators
- Ensuring adequate control mechanisms
- Approving the budget
- Overseeing the organization’s legal obligations
- Have you already demonstrated a passion and vision for organizations like ours?
- Were/are you involved with ANLA, OFA, or other national/state industry trade or community organizations?
- Are you currently involved with AmericanHort?
- Do you fundamentally have the time to serve on our board?
- The board meets in-person three times each year (usually in February, July, and October) and occasionally by conference call.
- Serving includes being properly prepared for all meetings, and maintaining an awareness of industry issues.
Click here to complete the online application.